27 May 2013

27th May - Bob Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan


Artist – Album: Bob Dylan – The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
Released:  27th May 1963
Sounds Like: Another day, another Dylan

It’s gradually becoming clear that Bob Dylan is one of my favourite artists of all time.  I mean, I always knew he was good, and that I was supposed to like him, but it never occurred to me that I ACTUALLY liked him. I do! I really do. Today is the fourth time, in only 148 days that I have sat here trying to convince you just how awesome each album is, that a Dylan has been the centre of attention. Another indication of my adoration is the fact that I had a huge poster of this album cover on my bedroom wall since I was 16.

In many ways, this was the first record on which Dylan showed his true genius. His debut, though pleasant, was riddled with covers which only served to dilute his skill and rein in his immense talent. Here, there are still a couple of covers – the fine ‘Corrina, Corrina’  and ‘Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance’ – but it’s the originals that really stand out. ‘Blowin’ in the Wind’ wasn’t just a milestone song, it was a torch song, a landmark for the flower power ideal. Other protest songs such as ‘Masters of War’ and, particularly, ‘A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall’ shone, but Dylan was more than a one trick pony. ‘Girl from the North Country’ was a delicate love song, possessing that inalienable quality of Dylan’s folk songs of sounding timeless. ‘Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right’ is ostensibly a love song but with tongue driven squarely in cheek. Elsewhere, there are the oft-lauded but questionable ‘Bob Dylan’s Blues’ and ‘Bob Dylan’s Dream’ that maybe I just don’t get.

I may have already given two Dylan album’s the full ten out of ten so far, but the eight I’m going to give this is not to be sniffed at. This was a fantastic effort, and really paved the way for the brilliance that was to come.

Albumaday... rating:  8/10

1.       Blowin’ in the Wind – 2:48
2.       Girl from the North Country – 3:22
3.       Masters of War – 4:34
4.       Down the Highway – 3:27
5.       Bob Dylan’s Blues – 2:23
6.       A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall – 6:55
7.       Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right – 3:40
8.       Bob Dylan’s Dream – 5:03
9.       Oxford Town – 1:50
10.   Talkin’ World War III Blues – 6:28
11.   Corrina, Corrina – 2:44
12.   Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance – 2:01
13.   I Shall Be Free – 4:49

Listen to ‘Don’t Think Twive It’s Alright’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZPh3hpxLKs

Also released on the 27th May:
2003: The Thrills – So Much for the City




No comments:

Post a Comment