26 July 2013

26th July - ZZ Top's Tres Hombres

Artist – Album: ZZ Top – Tres Hombres
Released:  26th June 1973

Sounds Like: It’s got legs

This morning I woke up at the foot of the bed, still wearing my tie and suit (although I had at least managed to unbutton the shirt), with the lamp still on and the laptop, fresh from a last minute Albumaday... posting, still on and snuggled up next to my head. Evidently it was quite a heavy one and I just couldn’t be happier that I had the foresight to book today off work. Not to sound too smug, all you unfortunate workmates...

I don’t remember much about the walk back from the pub, but I do recall playing the Arctic-cool ‘La Grange’ on my ipod far too loudly over and over again. Its John Lee Hooker-influenced blues and throaty A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw are damn near perfection. And I’m pleased to report that the rest of the album attains a similarly high standard – the opening couple of ‘Waitin’ for the Bus’ and ‘Jesus Just Left Chicago’ which together saw frequent radio airplay, the heavy, heavy sound of ‘Master of Sparks’ and the soulful ballad ‘Hot, Blue & Righteous’ are all worthy companions to the standout single.

I used to think ZZ Top were a bit of a gimmicky band, with their matching beards large enough for a flock of birds to make a nest in, MTV-ready music videos and shiny, synthy singles such as ‘Gimme All Your Lovin’’, ‘Sharp Dressed Man’ and ‘Legs’. It’s a pleasure to find out that they actually have roots in much purer, undistilled blues rock, and it’s a hell of a lot easier for my hungover brain to deal with.

Albumaday... rating:  8/10

1.       Waitin’ for the Bus – 2:59
2.       Jesus Just Left Chicago – 3:30
3.       Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers – 3:23
4.       Master of Sparks – 3:33
5.       Hot, Blue & Righteous – 3:14
6.       Move Me on Down the Line – 2:32
7.       Precious and Grace – 3:09
8.       La Grange – 3:52
9.       Shiek – 4:05
10.   Have You Heard? – 3:15

Listen to ‘La Grange’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppbdf-qtGU

Also released on the 26th June:
1974: Robert Wyatt – Rock Bottom

No comments:

Post a Comment