21 October 2013

21st October - Grandaddy's Under the Western Freeway

Artist – Album: Grandaddy – Under the Western Freeway
Released: 21st October 1997
Sounds Like: I’m tired

I’m sorry that it’s a bit late in the day for me to be making my post, and I can only apologise if I run out of steam before too long. My excuse is that I’m not long back from work, having had a mammoth journey to and from Grimsby to contend with either side of working my nine to five (fifteen). Ah, Grimsby, the town with the silent “-sby”. Driving for a couple of hours in the pouring rain isn’t great fun at the best of times, but when your destination is looked down upon even by folk from Hull you know you’re in trouble. I can hardly be blamed for momentarily debating swerving off the Humber Bridge in a desperate bid to escape that fate.

Thankfully, I was accompanied by Under the Western Freeway whilst travelling the M62 motorway. Grandaddy’s debut, it combined Uncle Tupelo-esque Americana with Pavement-style experimental rock, and there’s even a hint of Pink Floyd in the psychedelic synth-pop. Jason Lytle warms the cockles of your heart with his faltering croon and ‘A.M. 180’ and ‘Summer Here Kids’ are deceptively simple cases of perfect pop.

The record was a welcome companion when I set off in the dark hours of the morning, and it was still great fun when I was bombing back in the evening. Now, to bed.

Albumaday... rating: 7/10

1.      Nonphenomenal Lineage – 3:11
2.      A.M. 180 – 3:20
3.      Collective Dreamwish of Upperclass Elegance – 5:26
4.      Summer Here Kids – 3:35
5.      Laughing Stock – 5:59
6.      Under the Western Freeway – 3:01
7.      Everything Beautiful Is Far Away – 5:13
8.      Poisoned at Hartsy Thai Food – 1:13
9.      Go Progress Chrome – 2:31
10.  Why Took Your Advice – 4:07
11.  Lawn and So On – 9:04


Listen to ‘A.M. 180’http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptPXxAds1Jc


Also released on 21st October:
2003: The Shins – Chutes Too Narrow
Also released on 21st October:
2002: Feeder – Comfort in Sound


Also released on 21st October:
2011: Tom Waits – Bad As Me


No comments:

Post a Comment