2 March 2013

1st March - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

Artist – Album: Pink Floyd – The Dark Side of the Moon
Released:  1st March 1975
Sounds Like: The demented nine ages of man


Oh dear oh dear. I’ve only gone and missed yesterday’s post, haven’t I? It may be the first time I’ve lapsed in a couple of months but it still hurts you guys. I can only imagine how disappointed you are with me.

In a sense I missed two posts yesterday, because every now and again, if everyone agrees that it’s been a good month, we reward ourselves with another day of February. Known as February 28th and three quarters, or “leap day”, it is, per Wikipedia:

“a widely celebrated holiday complete with a Santa Claus-like mascot, Leap Day William, who lives in the Mariana Trench and trades candy for children's tears.”

We may have decided against having one this year, but over the years it has contributed albums to our collection, such as Olivia Newton-John’s Come On Over, Steriogram’s Schmack! and Draconian’s Turning Season Within... Maybe it’s for the best that I've skipped that day...

1st March’s offering is slightly more illustrious however. Released 38 years (and a day) ago, Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon is rightly regarded as one of the best greatest albums of all time ever. It’s some measure of its brilliance that, in my humble opinion, gargantuan dad-rock hit ‘Money’ is the weakest track on the record. It’s certainly the only song that breaks the continuity of the piece, with every other song melting into the other to create an unhinged sum far greater than the individual parts. There’s not a lot more to be said about this album detailing life and lunancy that hasn’t been written by better writers than I many times before. On the bright side (of the moon), I used up most of my wordcount on talk of a fictional festival.


Albumaday... rating: 10/10

1.       Speak to Me – 1:30
2.       Breathe – 2:43
3.       On the Run – 3:36
4.       Time – 7:01
5.       The Great Gig in the Sky – 4:36
6.       Money – 6:22
7.       Us and Them – 7:46
8.       Any Colour You Like – 3:25
9.       Brain Damage – 3:48
10.   Eclipse – 2:03

No comments:

Post a Comment