24 December 2013

24th December - Yngwie Malmsteen's The Genesis


Artist – Album: Yngwie J. Malmsteen – The Genesis
Released: 24th December 2002
Sounds Like: A barrage of guitarrage

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
I frantically surfed the ‘net with dismay
Was no record released on this blasted day?

My blog was all set up for completion with care,
But no album occurred for me to lay there.
Google “album Christmas eve” and you’ll find there’s no hits
I huffed in my seat ready to call it quits.

When out of my laptop there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my chair to see what was the matter.
The Genesis had started with a sound loud and brash,
Made of classic-metal tendencies and lots of guitar flash.

Heavy metal epics and blistering solos,
Fingers that bled like Rudolph’s red nose.
I jumped for joy and cheered “I’ve found one!”
(then remembered my family sleeping and kept myself schtum)

Merlin’s Castle’, ‘Dying Man’, ‘On a Serious Note’
Voodoo Child’ (the one Hendrix wrote)
Excellent tracks from the Swedish virtuoso
My cheeks were a-flush with a Christmassy glow

Most days, it’s true, I prefer things less rocking,
But I was happy to find Yngwie in my stocking.
He was there to help me out of my Christmas Eve plight.
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

Albumaday... rating: 5/10

1.       Birth of the Sun – 9:25
2.       Plague in Lucifer’s Mind – 4:30
3.       Dying Man – 8:47
4.       Black Magic Suite – 12:53
5.       Merlin’s Castle – 4:55
6.       Voodoo Nights – 8:42
7.       Hello – 1:51
8.       Voodoo Child – 12:18
9.       On a Serious Note – 5:55
 
Listen to ‘Birth of the Sun’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqy2Am2NqAQ

No comments:

Post a Comment