27 December 2013

27th December - The Pretenders' Pretenders


Artist – Album: The Pretenders – The Pretenders
Released: 27th December 1979
Sounds Like: Someone’s not impressed

So today was the day of a marathon journey back to Manchester after Christmas, a mere 286 miles on the map but 7 hour drive in horrible wet and windy conditions today. With just getting home being the main task for today, I didn’t have time to fully review this album. Luckily, I had it on my ipod, and a lovely little sister in the passenger who was happy to review it for me. Here’s her take on the album:

Track one: nernernernerner office clerk. Mum and Stuart Pickford. Makes me want to dance like in The Breakfast Club when they’re all high. Prefer her singing (not a clue what she’s on about mind you) to the electric jibber jabber of track two. Track 4, festive Caribbean (bit like in A Muppets Christmas Carol with the rats in Hawaiian shirts). Doesn’t sound like there’s much of a structure, a bit of a jam sesh… ‘Stop Your Sobbing’, I think I’d sob if she were being so mean! I like her more commercial sounding ones. Don’t reckon I’d like to have a barney with the lady! Nice guitar bit in the track after ‘Stop Your Sobbing’. Youtube misheard lyrics. I do think there’ll be no one like her in whatever room she’s in. I’m liking the album more as it goes along… “Stars in the sky” one makes me want to don a hippy skirt and floaty dance a bit like in The Lovely Bones when she’s enjoying her trippy heaven.

Albumaday... rating: 4.7/10 (per my sister!)

1.       Precious – 3:36
2.       The Phone Call – 2:29
3.       Up the Neck – 4:27
4.       Tattooed Love Boys – 2:59
5.       Space Invader – 3:26
6.       The Wait – 3:35
7.       Stop Your Sobbing – 2:38
8.       Kid – 3:06
9.       Private Life – 6:25
10.   Brass in Pocket – 3:04
11.   Lovers of Today – 5:51
12.   Mystery Achievement – 5:23

Listen to ‘Kid’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyCbkI9EgEA

Also released on the 27th December:
1967: Bob Dylan – John Wesley Harding
Also released on the 27th December:
1967: Leonard Cohen – Songs of Leonard Cohen


No comments:

Post a Comment